ReadRunRamble

Format: egalley via Netgalley

Synopsis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My review (published at Read, Run, Ramble):

Thank you Atria Books via Netgalley for providing me with an early copy of this book!

In The House We Grew Up In, Jewell tells the story of the Bird family. A story that includes secrets, heartbreak, family dysfunction, and all else that gets tangled up in those subjects. She writes these things with a touching, gentle style. Her words flowed off the page and into my psyche – mesmerizing.

Lorelei Bird is the eccentric matriarch of the bird family and your heart will ache for her at the same time that it smiles with her. She has an unequivocal love for Easter and being a mother, but on one fateful Easter, something bad happens and the family is forever changed.

Colin, Lorelei’s husband, just seems to be along for the ride in the beginning of the book, but readers will learn so much about him as the story moves forward. Additionally, there are many things to learn about their children, Meg, Beth, Rhys, and Rory.

Throughout the story Jewell sifts through the scraps of the Bird’s life. Lifting pieces and revealing secrets in a well-timed and well-written way. Up until the end, readers will be looking for the next secret, the next answer – this family has so many skeletons to bury. However, the drama and the dysfunction never seems over-the-top. Jewell has balanced the family’s issues with healing, growth, and revival in a way that makes this a spectacular and moving read and not just a drama-fest.

As the novel unravels, readers will be transported into Cotsworld village. They’ll take up residence with the birds for a while – get to know them, understand them, hurt with them, and ultimately love all of them not despite their flaws, but due to them.

It was a privilege to read and review this one – I loved it.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.