ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill

Sometimes full reviews are hard. I don't know why and I usually don't know when it will happen, but I've found myself there with NOS4A2. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book (4 stars). I'm talking great characters and a wonderfully dark, yet endearing story line; however, I just don't know what to say about it (but, of course, I'm going to try)!!

So Charlie Manx is a bad guy - a REALLY bad guy, and he's taking kiddos to Christmasland, which isn't all candy canes and popcorn ya know? Then there's Vic McQueen and man she is a BAD ASS. I loved her from the first moment she joined the story - as a kid, as an adult, as a woman, as a wife, as a mother, as a...well, just as Vic, she's freaking awesome. Of course there are others and I actually liked all the characters - they all work for their chosen roles. Oh, but wait, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Maggie - yeah, I really loved Maggie too. She's quirky and colorful (in more ways than one) - she's just plain fun.

The story is a great one, as I mentioned above. The bad guys are bad, but they're also a bit cartoonish. I don't say that in a bad way - it was like this perfectly mixed cartoonish, dark story. I'd dash to the store to pick this up as a Graphic Novel - that would be C-O-O-L! Yet it was dark enough that I had a few nasty, scary, little visitors in my dreams (how awesome is that)!?! To me that's what makes the novel so much fun to read. I mean it is dark and it is a horror novel, but it is never so dark that you can't get in a laugh or two. Never overly gory nor did it contain misplaced over-the-top violence (now don't misread - there's violence, it just isn't misplaced, gratuitous, or OTT). This is get-in-your-head scary and that's the best kind!

Really the only thing keeping me from 5 stars is the length. I don't mind a long book, but there were definitely times where I was dragging in this one. Not a lot, but there were some spots where I thought, did we need to go into this detail? Did it need to be 700 pgs long?

So the moral of the story is, I did actually have a few things to say and you should go ahead and pick up the book!

*BTW - after finishing the book, I found a cool tea shop that is currently selling NOS4A2 inspired tea...WHAT?! You know you want some, so here's the link.

Check out all my book related posts at Read, Run, Ramble!