ReadRunRamble

Format: Paperback

Synopsis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My review (originally published at Read, Run, Ramble):

Thank you Waterbrook Press via Blogging For Books for providing me a copy of this book!

I like Giving by Brad Formsma is a mixture of practical ideas and inspiring stories (as stated in the title). I enjoyed both – the stories were fun and uplifting and the ideas showcased that you don’t have to be a millionaire to give and make a difference.

Formsma’s content supports that fact as well. He is clear throughout that giving is fulfilling whether it is based in money, goods, time, listening, caring, etc. The amount doesn’t matter, type doesn’t matter. What matters is that we’re giving in a way that supports our own strengths and provides to someone who needs it. As for who needs it, that’s another concept covered thoughtfully in the book. Too often we think of those in need as the homeless we pass on the way to work, or victims of natural disaster, or other people suffering from the largely visible arenas in life. While those people most certainly need and deserve our help, there are people all around us every day that could use a lift – co-workers, neighbors, family members.

I appreciated the fact that the examples shown were sometimes rooted in the Church, but others were not. The opportunities either shown as example or detailed as idea were all over the board and the emphasis was on giving where you could and where you wanted. There wasn’t pressure in giving in specific or particular ways. One example detailed a man buying an older woman’s coffee one morning – her 11-pump coffee. But it made the woman’s day and left the giver feeling quite touched as well.

Alternately the author delves into the mechanics of giving. Sometimes people don’t want to accept, sometimes they are get angry, embarrassed, or sad. Sometimes they flat out refuse. Giving isn’t always a simple act and can even be taken advantage of. Really this book covers all the bases and angles of giving and it does so in an unbiased, objective, and an unforced way.

I love looking for ways to help others or otherwise make a difference in others’ lives. I was interested in reading this book because though I’m already a giver, I wanted to see what opinions and examples were shown here because it is easy to get wrapped up in what we can’t give or where we can’t help, but this book shows that there are opportunities for all of us and it really can improve life for all.
There’s even a short chapter on receiving and honestly we can all probably benefit from the advice given there. It is always easier for me to give as opposed to receive, but when we look at in from the angle Formsma presents, things look a little different.
Whether you already find ways to give daily or you’re just starting to wonder what kind of a difference you can make by giving, this book is a helpful, uplifting, and practical read.

I was provided with a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.