ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

The Good Luck of Right Now - Matthew Quick

Find this review and much more at Read, Run, Ramble

Thank you HarperCollins via Edelweiss for providing me with an early copy of this book!

Quick has a way of building quirky, understandable, endearing characters that make you feel. This is only my second book by the author and already he's a fave. In this story, Bartholomew cares for his ill mother up until her death. It's all he's ever done, all he's ever known and now he isn't sure how to move on. Through a series of letters written to Richard Gere, one of his mother’s idols, the reader will come to know Bartholomew along with several other characters all battling their own chaotic and non-perfect lives.

In his letters to the actor, Bartholomew explains and explores his mother's idea about bad luck and good luck. The ideas and concepts presented in the story are thought provoking as well as uplifting. Do the bad things that happen somehow balance out into good things down the line? What is family? What is faith? Do we all “pretend” in our daily lives somehow – is that how we get through?

Using his mother’s devotion to Richard Gere and her concept of good luck, Bartholomew sets upon a journey to figure out what he believes, where does he belong now that his mother has passed, and he also sets out to meet his father whom he has never met – his mother had told him that his father passed away.

As Bartholomew and his group of misfit friends, a priest who has broken ties with the Church, a young grief counselor, a quiet, misunderstood librarian, and her f-bomb loving brother, come together and set out in an attempt to heal and find answers, life opens up for all of them. They do find answers and salvation within each other. They find ways to make sense of their situations at least enough to be able to survive and move on. And they start to understand that everyone is a little broken – everyone needs a little help and support.

I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to EVERYONE. There’s humor, fun, tragedy, and even mystery, but most of all, there is life – refreshing and tragic and not always perfect.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.