ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

Pretenders by Lisi Harrison

Pretenders - Lisi Harrison

Find this review and much more at Read, Run, Ramble

Thank you Little Brown Books for Young Readers via Netgalley for providing me with an early copy of this book.

I was not a fan of this book even from the beginning. The only reason I kept reading was to find out what happens to all the characters - you know, just a bit of closure for enduring what I had, but NO, that didn't happen because Harrison CHOPPED off the ending and just stopped. I'll search for spoilers rather than read the next book should it ever come about.

The characters were flat, stereo-typical high school students. The chapters were made up of their journal entries (rotating through all 5 main characters). They honestly made such a low impact that I never could even remember which character was which or who'd done what.

The plot lines had promise, somewhat, but none were pulled off very well. There are some issues in this story that deserve exposure, but the way they were portrayed in this story made them seem minimal and petty.

The cover and the synopsis pulled me in, but I should have read some reviews first because they're mostly spot on - this book just wasn't for me.

I was provided with a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.