ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

Perfect by Rachel Joyce

Perfect: A Novel - Rachel Joyce

Find this review and much more at Read, Run, Ramble

Thank you Random House Publishing Group via Netgalley for providing me with an early copy of this book!

When I found this book in the Netgalley catalog, I thought it sounded interesting and I had heard really good things about Joyce’s debut novel so I decided to request it and see what I thought. I was not expecting such an engaging, not-gonna-let-you-go read!!

I thought about this book when I wasn't reading it and the words wrapped me up all cocoon-like while I was reading it! Joyce is an amazing storyteller – FABULOUS. Her words flow together beautifully and vividly. Several times I stopped to reread something simply because it was so perfectly written – it felt good to read it.

The story itself is not a sleeper, but more of a “lurker” (if I can just make up my own word here for a moment). See, the reader KNOWS…really KNOWS that something is up and that something is going to happen, but the author just keeps pulling along, dropping bread crumbs to keep him/her anxiously following along. Sometimes these little crumb trails lead the reader down a path making him/her think that the story is clear, and then quietly and gently she leads him/her to the correct destination and it all comes together.

Two seconds – it all comes down to two seconds. James and Byron are sure that two seconds are going to be added to time to make up for some discrepancy in the Earth’s rotation. And it is these two seconds, Byron believes, that have caused the chaos in his life – the chaos that will turn his family on its head. The two boys expend so much energy in their young friendship trying to mend what was made wrong by the two seconds. Told from two points of view, past and present are brought together in Joyce’s expertly written words.

Perfect explores truth – what it is and what it isn't and even how it is and can be created. We all have our own versions of the truth, but they don’t necessarily match others’. These truths and how we deal with them are how life evolves – how we evolve – who we become.

I ended my year with this book finishing it at about 10:30pm on December 31st and I couldn't have ended the year with a better book. I was taken by this book from page one and I know it won’t easily leave my mind. I was in love with the writing, the characters, the story – everything. Theirs is so much to love about this book – go pick it up, you don’t want 2014 to pass you by without reading it!

I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.