ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

Circle in the Sand by Lia Fairchild

Circle in the Sand - Lia Fairchild

Find this review and much more at Read, Run, Ramble

Circle in the Sand is a wonderful tale of friendship and the things that can pull friends together, but also push them apart.

Jax, Emily, Sage, and Ned have been best friends since they were kids (yes, you read that correctly, Ned), but can their bonds remain strong through the struggles life throws at each of them? Life is different as an adult and secrets are harder to share.

Ned is somewhat an enigma in the story, but he fits in quite perfectly as the pieces all start to fall together. The story wouldn't quite be the same without him actually – leave it to Fairchild to find a new and exciting way to spice up Contemporary Fiction! (Side note: that is actually one of the best things about Lia’s books – they are never just the run-of-the-mill. There is always something just a little different. A small surprise that enhances the story and keeps readers on their toes.) Ned fits into this circle of friends snugly, but he too has issues and secrets to deal with – if he doesn't, he may lose a very good friend…maybe even a partner.

The three girls have very different personalities, which makes their friendship and their antics in the book all the more interesting. Sage has everything under control – she knows what she wants in life and nothing will change it…maybe. Emily has the family she’s always dreamed of, but at what price? Jax, well Jax is a powerhouse in this novel. I love her – I think most readers will. She’s a free spirit with a big heart, but does she need to settle down and get a “real” life or will her friends, once and for all, accept her for who she is?

Fairchild writes the story from every character’s point of view – switching off to a new character with each chapter. This method suited the story well as readers will really get to know each one intimately – their fears, thoughts, secrets. Additionally, readers will see some situations from more than one POV – talk about putting a spin on things…sometimes things aren’t as they originally seem!

Humor, romance, kids, money, mental illness, dying relatives – it is all in here and woven together well in a tale that will have you reading straight through to find all the answers and see how these friends figure things out and end up (not to mention there are some really awesome supporting characters with some of their own secrets).

If you want to start 2014 off with a great book, a few chuckles, and a lot of fun, read this one!!

*I was blessed to be asked to beta read this book and am absolutely floored by the wonderful acknowledgement Lia included in this book (about ME…I mean, seriously, ME). I was not compensated for the beta read nor the review, but was asked for an honest opinion of the book. All thoughts and views are my own.