ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity

Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity - McDowell,  Dimity, Sarah Bowen Shea, McDowell,  Dimity, Shea,  Sarah Bowen After reading Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving and Not Lose Your Job, Family, or Sanity (RLAM), I'd like to start my review by saying, anyone who can use the words "cooter plug" in a book and not come of sounding like they are just "trying to hard" has my utter respect!Dimity and Sarah are runners - not born runners, but instead two women who came across running in their own time and in their own way, who continue to make it work through jobs, marriages, births, losses, injuries, etc. For me, a novice runner if there ever was one, this book was fun, helpful, and encouraging. One of the things I struggle with most is carving out time for me whether it is fitness or otherwise. In RLAM it is clear that running isn't this blissful, easy, joyful event at every turn. That is a good thing in a running book. I want to know that not just tall, thin, athletically built and perfectly toned people are getting it done, and they aren't always doing it with a stellar attitude and zero pain. Realness is definitely a big part of this book. Dimity and Sarah share good times, bad times, playlists, cross-training thoughts...everything. And in doing so they remain real - things get ugly, smelly, and downright gross and that, in my opinion, is great in a book about running.I enjoyed this book and do feel it gave me a better attitude about being a "Mother anything". Trying to be a mom and also remain your own individual with your own hobbies and activities is HARD work regardless of the activity - Dimity and Sarah show readers how they do it and how it actually helps them hang onto their sanity to remain on top of their parenting game!