ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - So I've marked this one with two stars, which I'm realizing is a very unpopular view, but it is mine and I'm sticking with it.I'm sure in its time Catcher was revolutionary in its style and content, but I read it in my thirties and I found the main character, Holden Caufield, quite irritating and repulsive for the most part. He's a typical teenager for goodness sakes. This novel is like many others - the struggles and strife of a teen. Battling the frustrations and fears with transitioning from childhood to adulthood. Feeling that those around you are pretentious and "phony" as Caufield uses repetitively in the novel. Holden does have some redeeming qualities - his love for his siblings as one. Another is the fact that underneath his ridiculous attitude, he does reveal in his narration that he has a heart and a mind. After all he is quite accomplished in his English classes and he has an understanding (though conflicted) about sex and that it should be between two people who love each other and shouldn't be just a casual encounter.No one gets you - no one is as good as you - everyone is irritating - everyone is out to get you...predictable.The one consistent theme in the book that kept me interested was the fact that in several instances a reader is aware that Caufield isn't just another teen. He does seem to have some deeper, more serious issues and that is resolved/eluded to in the end though never fully disclosed, explained, or detailed.