ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

Before I Fall

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver I'd go 4.5 if Goodreads allowed halves - this is a really great book."Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it.But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know."This is one of many quotes I could pull from this book - the author has an amazing ability to create worlds, images, and feelings. This is probably one of the most quote worthy books I've read this year.Oliver transports her readers into Samantha Kingston's world - into the popular crowd of an every-day high school. We've all been there and since this is a YA novel, many readers are currently there. High school is painful for everyone whether popular, athletic, brainy, or otherwise - it isn't pleasant for the most part. Everyone has struggles and Oliver brings them all to life in this novel.My heart ached as Samantha lived and relived her last day. Tears were shed, but laughter also echoed as I read this book. This story focuses on decisions - the good, the bad, the indifferent - and how they are all woven together with everyone else's decisions. Lives intersect in expected and unexpected ways. Oliver brings to light how intermingled we all are both knowingly and unknowingly! And at the base of everything is this - no one is perfect, we all have flaws, we all struggle with those flaws, but life is short. Too short to dwell on the insignificant and too short to ignore the important things, even for a second. How would you live right now if today - if this moment - were your last chance?