ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

The Song Remains the Same

The Song Remains the Same - Allison Winn Scotch Nell Slattery is one of two survivors of a plane crash - 152 other passengers died. However, she has no memory from before the crash - her past is essentially erased.Throughout the novel, while recovering physically, Nell also tries to heal mentally in order to gain back her memory and try to remember who she is - who she really wants to be. Through a series of flashbacks and dreams, readers learn about Nell's life leading up to the crash - there are some skeletons and loads of drama. She struggles to gain control while bouncing between who she thinks she was - who everyone says she was - before the crash and who she wants to be in the present day.Allison Winn Scotch, in her novel, poses the question, who are we without our memories - without our past? How does one build a life, form goals, or grow/improve if she has no base from which to start?I enjoyed The Song Remains The Same and it brought forth some topics to ponder. However, I never felt blown away or as connected to Nell as I would have hoped. I never felt overly emotional for or about Nell and her family. I was surprised and intrigued a few times and I was definitely interested in following through to the end for all the answers, but kept wishing that it would really GRAB me.