ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

The Prisoner of Heaven

The Prisoner of Heaven - As with the first two installments of this series of books, I loved The Prisoner of Heaven. Carlos Ruiz Zafon knows just how to deliver his readers right into the heart of historic Barcelona! Additionally, he writes intrigue, mystery, romance and drama in just the right amounts - there are pieces of all in this story.In this installment, Fermin is quickly approaching his wedding day and I enjoyed every piece of background and history Zafon gave about this character. Fermin remains one of my all-time favorite sidekicks - he's loyal, he's funny, he's smart, he's strong-willed, he's blunt and sarcastic - what else could readers ask for in a sidekick!?! Though he's nearing such a happy day in his life, he's very depressed and reserved so Daniel sets out to figure out what's going on in his life to cause such negativity.Daniel, at the same time, is having some reservations about his own marriage and wife in addition to learning upsetting news about his past and his mother. With these two issues, Daniel fights some internal demons throughout the novel.Zafon used this novel to tie The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game together more clearly and succinctly, yet he set it up to continue with the series and I am thrilled about reading more about the Sempere's, Fermin, The Cemetary of Forgotten Books, and possibly David Martin among other vibrant and rich characters that I feel I know personally.I highly recommend this book and those before it in the series.