ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

Triangles

Triangles - Ellen Hopkins Three women; three lives, three families – all interwoven. Hopkins makes her adult novel debut with Triangles and while I was never as blown away as I’ve been when reading her YA novels, I was still mesmerized and drawn in by her wonderfully written prose and her ability to broach tough subjects with naked truth and brutal clarity. Simply put, I love reading Hopkins’ novels – there’s always something to learn, something to ponder, and something to apply.Holly seems to have it all – money, big house, perfect husband, beautiful kids. However, she’s not happy and after jogging away many pounds to become a very beautiful and sought after woman, she makes some decisions that not only rock the marriage, but really rock the core of who she is – she takes infidelity to an entirely new level. I didn’t like Holly quite simply. I couldn’t relate, I thought she was selfish, arrogant, and neglectful. I had zero sympathy or empathy for this woman, even when maybe I should.Andrea does not have good luck in the man department – none. Her story revolves around a few relationships that bottom out. I felt sorry for Andrea at times. She’s a single mother, she’s been railroaded by several men. She’s Holly’s best friend and knows, to an extent, that she is on a path of marital destruction. She seems to idolize Holly’s life and family at times, which makes her angry at Holly regarding some of her decisions.Marissa is the character I related to, appreciated, and liked the most. She has a teenage son who has announced he is gay and gives her normal “teen attitude” and problems. Additionally, she’s taking care of a young daughter who is terminally ill with little to no help from her husband, who is absent from the home a majority of the time. Marissa is Andrea’s sister and they aren’t close.Each woman has her own family and her own issues, but as the story progresses they intertwine in many ways and we see them build the three sides of a triangle perhaps. Each story unravels and in doing so impacts the other stories unraveling simultaneously – the children, the marriages, the friendships.From this book, I pulled a core message – different doesn’t mean better. One might think about what could have been or what would have been, but challenges come with every life, every decision, everypath taken, so better is not a guarantee. A new spouse, different children, a more stable childhood past – none of this equates to a better life right now. This book focuses on the grass is greener mentality and society’s quickness to sample that greener grass and the consequences created as such.