ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

The Help

The Help - Kathryn Stockett The Help is one of those books that infuriates you - infuriates you because you know it is fiction, but you know for all intents and purposes it IS NOT fiction! The author of the book, Kathryn Stockett, grew up in Jackson, Mississippi and while her characters, plots and subplots are all fiction, they are based in the truth that was Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960's.Eugenia Phelan, the main character, is now in my list of top ten characters mostly because I identify with her - relate to her. She sees an underdog and she fights towards justice. In this story Eugenia struggles due to choices she makes, but never once does she back down or give up - strong, woman character.The book is told from several character's points of view - Minny - the headstrong, sassy, younger maid; Aibileen - the calm, quiet, reserved, obedient maid; and Skeeter (Eugenia) - the educated, well-to-do, Junior League board member. This form of storytelling added much to the book. There was never a time when I didn't feel like I was right in the room/area with these women. Readers get all sides of the story, but not in a way that slows it down or becomes redundant. The author switches between characters effectively.I enjoyed Aibileen and Minny as much as I did Eugenia. This book is filled with intriguing, strong, colorful characters. I felt their pain, joy, fear and frustration for the duration of the novel. This is a must read - for all.