ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

The F-It List by Julie Halpern

The F- It List - Julie Halpern

Thank you Macmillan Children's Publishing Group via Netgalley for providing me an ARC of this book!

I'm going to start by saying that I LOVED Alex, the main character of this book,and most of what I enjoyed about The F-It List is Alex's humor and smart-ass attitude. Those items really pulled the book along and made it fun to read.

Past that, I enjoyed the book, but wasn't blown away necessarily. For a book about a teenage bucket list, it was somewhat shallow. And I do understand that a bucket list created by a teen (and the list was actually started when the character was 9-years-old) is going to be shallow in some ways. I just expected more depth from the characters in this situation. Like maybe one or two entries on the list that weren't focused on touching someone's butt, doing dope, or having sex.

None of this is to say that there wasn't some character growth. I was pleased to see our main character, Alex, develop as a friend, girlfriend, daughter, sister, and overall maturing girl who's dealt with some tough situation in her young life.

Aside from Alex, there are some great supporting characters and definitely some enjoyable moments. As a word of caution to those who have read and loved The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - if you're looking for similarities due to the nature of the content, be careful what expectations you have going into the book. While the nature of the content is indeed similar that is where all similarities stop. That doesn't make this a bad book in my opinion, it just makes it different and the two really can't be compared (I secretly fear that maybe fans of TFiOS will go into this book with the wrong hopes/expectations). Wipe the slate clean and start fresh for best results!

When all is said and done, Halpern has written a good book the readers of YA Fiction can enjoy (with laughter even, which is nice in a book focused on such heavy themes).

I was provided an ARC copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.

The F-It List is currently scheduled for release on November 12, 2013.

Find this and much more at Read, Run, Ramble