ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

After Her by Joyce Maynard

After Her - Joyce Maynard

Thank you William Morrow via Edelweiss for providing me an ARC of this book!

I had a little over 100 pages left when 2 things happened. 1. The book expired (one day past publication...ouch) and 2. I gave up on it.

The synopsis of this book sounds great. It is, of course, what led me to request the ARC in the first place. However the book doesn't quite deliver what the synopsis seems to invoke/promise.

With about half of the book read, I'd stumbled across the same information and themes over and over again. I'm pretty sure if I had to read one more sentence about what a lady's man Rachel's dad was, I would have thrown my device across the room (Rachel is our protagonist). I'd read the same 5 or so themes over and over (father's characteristics, mother's characteristics, Rachel's coming of age, the killer's MO, the decline of Rachel's father and how the girls miss him so much while equally getting in jabs at mom who is very absent). Now, revisiting details can be good, don't get me wrong, but not when they are restated almost verbatim every other page instead of new insights on these themes and/or characters.

Here's my thoughts - I think maybe Maynard was somewhat caught or maybe confused on what she wanted/needed/was writing here. I mean is it coming of age, is it thriller, what?! It is okay to straddle those lines, but only if you have a plan on how to do it effectively and this one misses the mark for me because it bounces back and forth and never really lands on anything (again, I only made it to about page 150ish - my copy had expired when I went to open it and find out what page I'd stopped on). Due to this indecision or lack of clear "path" for the story and the characters, the author keeps covering the same ground and getting really nowhere.

So, I didn't finish it. I can't recommend it, and I'm really disappointed because the story line/plot has some great potential.

I was provided an ARC copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.

Find this and much more at Read, Run, Ramble