ReadRunRamble

Read, Run, Ramble

A couple of recent reads ...

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel - Nancy Pickard

I finished these two books in the past few days. Not sure if I’ll write full reviews on one, the other, both, or neither, but I did want to post real quick with a few brief thoughts on each book.

Two very different reads, but both great.

The Book Thief is a heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, but fan-freaking-tastic read. A fictional representation of Hitler’s reign and the Nazi impact. A unique narrator and beautiful writing really bring the events to life.

Zusak transports readers right into the thick of Nazi Germany, but he does so under the cover of death who is the narrator. And if you think that sounds wonky, well, it is, but it is absolutely perfect and poetic in this book!

* ebook borrowed from the Johnson County, KS Public Library.

As for The Scent of Rain and Lightning, I’ve wanted to read Pickard for a while now. She’s a local author, the setting is a small town in KS (I’m a small town KS girl), and I’ve heard great reviews.

I wasn’t disappointed. Pickard grabbed me from the beginning in this one and she really never let go. The suspense and the pace really keep readers on their toes. I had a couple of guesses throughout the read, but turns out I was way wrong!!

* Paperback purchased from the Half-Price Book Store.

I will definitely be grabbing more books by both of these authors soon!