ReadRunRamble

egalley via Netgalley

Synopsis

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

My Review (originally posted at Read, Run, Ramble):

Thank you, Atria Books via Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

I’m so torn here. I enjoyed some of the book, but some I very much didn’t like. Additionally, I love Hopkins’s books for the most part. It is always hard when I read a book by a favorite author and it doesn’t wow me.

Tara, our main character/protagonist, is supposed to be a strong and independent woman. She’s very intelligent, good looking, and basically a hard ass; however, she lets the antagonists of the book walk ALL over her. Some things are forgivable because she’s “in love” for probably one of the first and only times in her life, but these guys go above and beyond in their lying and weird, unexplainable behavior. I ended up being less than impressed with Tara and that was disappointing because she had potential.

Next up would be the sex scenes. They were completely not my style. Nothing above or beyond that – just not for me, but I’m sure many will be perfectly fine with them.

Let me talk about the good – the mystery and intrigue. Loved all the twists and turns which were fun and kept me turning pages. There was so much going on and so many thing that I just HAD.TO.KNOW – loved it. And, of course, there’s Ellen’s writing which I think is always fabulous.

BUT (there’s that nasty little word again), it ends with basically no resolution. Readers get one more bomb of info at the end and then it all just stops. I get that there may be a sequel, but that isn’t enough for me. There wasn’t enough here for me to move on with the story. There are a few assumptions one can make, but way too many loose ends for my liking.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher or author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.