ReadRunRamble

Format: Hardcover via Blogging for Books

Synopsis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My review (published at Read, Run, Ramble):

Thank you Penguin Random House via Blogging for Books for providing me with an early copy of this book!

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography was a fun and different read. As expected, the content was funny and lively. I did get a little lost when I tried to read it as a true choose your own adventure so about a quarter of the way through I gave that up and read it from start to finish. Reading it that way helped – I was sometimes a little out of synch, but at least things seemed to make sense!

I love NPH – I have since his days as Doogie. I love him in his roles as an actor, but I also enjoy him outside of those roles, as a person. That part of him was the part I was most interested in reading about in this book, and I’m happy to say it was provided and that he is still my kind of celebrity.

I enjoyed reading of his parents, his children, his partner, and his life outside of acting the most. It is interesting to read of all the people he’s had the pleasure of meeting, hanging out with, and working with, but I’m not too star-struck in personality so that info didn’t do much for me.

Reading of his struggle to identify himself and come to terms with that identification was interesting as well. He dealt with his sexuality in a very Doogie mixed with Barney served on top of a confused human being type of way and he kept it real in the book. There were men, there were women, there were non-cut and dry feelings to figure out and it was written well in the book. There was a perfect balance of humor, detail, and explanation so as not to overdo it or underdo it.

Interspersed throughout are letters written to NPH by those who know and love him best. I liked them, and I liked the light way they added depth and more character to the story.

All-in-all I enjoyed the read. It wasn’t has crack-up funny as I expected or as choose-your-own-adventure exciting as I expected, but it was an enjoyable and informative read that provided a few chuckles and definitely a little more insight into a celebrity of whom I’m already quite fond.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.