ReadRunRamble

Format: egalley via Netgalley

Synopsis

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My review (published at Read, Run, Ramble):

Thank you Simon & Schuster via Netgalley for providing me with an early copy of this book!

If there is anything to say about Garth Stein, it is this: he has a knack for writing unique and purely lovable narrators who bring a story into a whole new light for readers!

In A Sudden Light the narrator is a 14-year-old boy, Trevor, who just wants his parents not to get a divorce. Upon his parents’ separation, his father, Jones, takes him to The North Estate – Jones’s childhood home. It is there where Trevor digs into his legacy and the history of his ancestors. Where he learns the events that formed the man his father has become. Where he becomes intimately familiar with relatives of whom he’s never even heard.

Stein’s prose is as mesmerizing as his narrator is endearing. His words transform the world around the reader into the logging legacy that is The North Estate. Readers will have no problem feeling a part of this story. Through Trevor readers will learn the controversial and haunting past that has crippled the Riddells for some time. The history that caused their downfall.

Something else I’ve noticed in Stein’s characters is the fact that he can also write the characters reader love to hate. Sister Serena is one of those. She’ll keep readers wondering what exactly she’s up to the whole time, but one thing is clear – she is up to no good!

A little bit coming of age, a little bit ghost story, and a little bit crazy family legacy, all seen through the eyes of a young man who is confused, scared, and  hurting, but is determined to find answers and hopefully bring his family back together.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am not compensated for any of my reviews.